February and March (Birthday Month) - Food, Museums, Celebrations

Monday, June 26, 2017

So I haven't been really diligently blogging recently. I know my blog is basically just a semi-private diary so that I can keep track of places I've been and people I've met, so sometimes I get lazy to write. (So far, I've gotten 3,827 views since Feb 2016. So that's quite encouraging...) Anyway just I shall see if I can finish blogging about 4 months in 1 post, if not I shall write a part 2.
x





So the header photo is that of Stacy's birthday in Feb I think? My trusty Sony RIII delivered in low light for this wonderfully illuminated photo of us girls.

We start where we left off in Feb 2017~


This is my view of One Fullerton every day. I usually take a walk through Chevron and then Clifford Pier and through One Fullerton. The sky was pretty nice that day. (The nicest sky I've seen so far entailed illuminated, backlit clouds on a fair morning). 


Took this shot of the Fullerton that was reposted on their official Instagram. This filter goes pretty well with the shot too, no? :)


Breakfast at Prive @ACM one morning. Steak and eggs are pretty good!


^ So we usually come by Forum Seafood for their lunch set, which is really really value for money. It's something like SG$10.88++ per person for a 4 course meal including (as pictured), vegetables, fish, a soup, rice and a shared dish.

Went to see the Escher exhibition at ArtScience, here are some of the choice pieces:


He often takes a very very mathematical approach to his drawings as they require such precision and 4D thinking. Maybe he's an alien or a cyborg? I mean no one can draw lines that straight for sure...!


One of the more famous drawings of the impossible stairwell. ^ I'd say it influenced the design of the Addam's Family (that's a cartoon for all you non-90s kids)! 


This piece spoke to me. Kind of has the Waves of Kanagawa-feel with an apocalyptic-kind of sky.


This one is pretty cool too. It presents the duality of angels and demons in a circular design. The funny thing is that he's just really good at finding shapes that fit together? Moreover transforming them at the same time? It's... pretty LIT! Haha.


When I took art in secondary school, the art department used to put out mini-exhibitions of artwork by the students all the time, and I remember there used to be a few who were greatly inspired by Escher because they would draw and paint in his style. One piece of theirs which stood out was inspired by the above sketching/etching.


Another variation on the impossible stairway theme.


This is kind of cool and deconstructed! Reminds me of the artwork of a contemporary digital artist called Aykut Aydogdu I like a lot.


Another cool/mindblowing piece of his. As I mentioned his work was highly mathemathical and often involved him calculating to proceed with his drawings. That's just some higher-ordered thinking no? To combine two such disparate disciplines.


We mustn't neglect to post a pretty picture of a dragon. Yes.


Another unplanned visit to the museum, this time to Asian Civilizations. It's really close to my office so I often pop by. This is a display of ancient pottery, and ancient artefacts from Myanmar? The thing to note is the namecard holder on the left is actually carved out of ivory, etched and made paper thin. This brings to mind a couple of things 1) how did they get it to be in one piece? 2) they had namecards in ancient times? Ancient people never cease to amaze me, people generally had more time to put into decorating? 


Dinner at Kinki one of the nights. The beef don, although tiny, is marvellous. Sashimi was on point too. I suggest you skip the sushi rolls because those did not look well-prepared. Tasted OK though.


Dinner at Taste of Thailand which is basically where we go most weekends for a casual family gathering. On some days we order the chilli crab. The hotplate tofu is a must have! On that day we decided to be adventurous and ordered the ginger beef and vermicelli prawns too.


Mo'mor Izkaya for brunchtime with Kev and Abra. Fish steak, pasta and pumpkin soup.


Rare photo of them!


Carapaccio and beef tatare at Sen of Japan!


Tapas at Boruto (Japanese Izakaya), it also serves as a sake bar. The truffle tuna carapccio was awesome and so was the stuffed chicken wings!


Next up, was Valentine's Day this year, which I spend with my parents. You can say I crashed their date *crickets chirping* Yes. Dinner was at Jade at Fullerton - starter, double-boiled soup, egg white scallops, szechuan fillet, eemian and osmanthus jelly. Pretty worth it I think? It's their famous set!


Tapas at Shukuu Izakaya! The udon and spicy sashimi don was yummy.


That day at Nanjing Impressions. The salted duck is a must have!

March 2017


Birthday lunch at Mozza Osteria. It was so awesome, although they gave us bad seats. We were perched precariously at the bar counter. Not only was the buffalo cheese prosciutto amazing, so was the steak. It's full name is Porcini Rubbed Wagyu Rib Eye Bistecca with rosemary fried potatoes (comes in a serving of two), I think this is the best steak I've tasted in my life. The crust of the steak is so herby and buttery I can't... Must go back again.


My friend was raving about this steak at El Mero Mero. You can try it if you want to but imho the one at Mozza Osteria is the best, hands down.


Round up of birthday party celebrations/CNY parties:






Ah, it's so pretty from Ce La Vi...


Poppin' a bottle. And another one. And another one.

Birthday dinner with the fambam! This was back when I had mega long hair haha. It has since reduced in length by a lot. 


This was at Nanbei Imperial Treasures. It seems like we only go to a few places we're familiar with.


Thank you for the cake! 


Skyline with the Rebels gang. Thank you for the free bottle! Had a wonderful time, plus that bottle lasted me 3 more trips (v).


Birthday wine.


Also got my hair cut in March! Time to go for a touchup perhaps? My roots are seriously showing.


Doesn't looks really brown on me but when it's off , my hair looks pretty chocolatey brown!


All done!




Birthday lunch thanks to BL's treat. This place called Goro Goro (Korean-fusion steamboat) that we go often in Somerset. Has a kpop vibe with a good selection of meats and vegetables.


One of the days I popped by Luke's Oyster bar to try the steak... It's not really nice, I think because it was aged a lot?




Dad has been taking a liking to this new Shanghainese store called Ding Te Le in Kovan. He often does takeaway for us for the weekends! Really authentic Shanghainese pan-fried buns and curry beef soup (which is really rare to find)... The xiaolongbaos are better at Dintaifeng imo though!


Mexican food at Dhoby Ghaut! Can't remember the exact name but it's the one right at the entrance? The prawns are very very fresh.


View from the office. It's amazing!


Omakase set at Hakumai. Seriously worth it and delicious too! Fish roe tofu, sashimi selection, truffle oil chawanmushi, monks fish.


Say hi to BL guys!


I think this was my Dad's birthday dinner at Nanjing Impressions? Had the drunken mini-lobster/crayfish which turned out to be a cold fish. Also had the salted duck again, and the Itoshi (it's like a pork broth of sorts).


Sashimi madness at the Standing Sushi Bar! With Char, Kal and Keren.


Izakaya hopping that day. This was the shop at Golden Mile Complex? No one remembers the name but it's pretty famous.


Ended the night at Korean BBQ after 347231092821 sake and soju shots.


Amazing sashimi bowl at Yuki Onna! It's really yummy. The foie gras beef bowl too.




Mexican buffalo wings and tacos at Super Loco I believe?


We always come to Osahime for dinner! The food is very pretty... from a certain distance at least. I always get the sashimi soba set or the Osahime set- both are not bad!


Visiting a friend's friend's art gallery! 



Also visited a silent disco... It was my first time there and I had so much fun.




That shall be all for now! I'm creating another post for April - May as this one seems pretty long already. :) Toodles. (It's time for bed as the Hari Raya long weekend is over...)

You Might Also Like

0 commentors

Featured post

Adventure to the Balkans Travelogue Pt. 1: Zagreb, Croatia

Hola at you readers! It's me, Sasha Bear here - and today we're FINALLY going to post about my trip to the Balkans circa Octo...

Quote I Love

“To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.”

—Arundhati Roy, The Cost of Living

Current Ear Candy