July - Hair, Food, Fun and Flying into Hong Kong for a concert!

Thursday, August 10, 2017


I think the highlight of this month was definitely my trip to Hong Kong to see Monsta X in concert. At first I kinda found serendipity taking up kpop as a hobby again, since I used to be wayyy into kpop when I was a teenager (more about that later). So the month of July was me chilling out, going to the museum (more about that in a museum mega-post), and the concert in Hong Kong.

We start off with the random bits of the month! The concert report will be towards the end of the post.


This was taken after a trip to the ArtScience museum! Always love the skyline from the MBS steps, the sun was setting right as we took this photo. We were lucky that day.


There's a new cafe that opened next to the ArtScience museum and that is the DaPaolo Gastronomia? It's a pretty ubiquitous brand here in Singapore and it's no wonder, because their branding and interior decor is really wonderful. 


Coffee and cakes at TCC after shopping one day.


Really wanted to buy this outfit but my mom told me it looked like pajamas. Haha! Darn it.


Did hair at this salon in Somerset 313, it was a Korean salon? The hairstylist was really friendly. Would highly recommend.


Actually another highlight of the month would be my dinner at En Sakaba, which is a new restaurant opened at Capital Tower. Pictured here is the, sake, wagyu, uni, foie gras roll, sashimi with gold flakes, otoro sashimi, fried oysters, pork cheek and kani in a shell. Really really yummy, plus all that for 6 people around SGD80 per pax? Really worth it, do check it out.

Okay, we time travel to the start of the month, 8th July to be exact. I flew into HK in the morning and arrived at 2pm at the hotel, which was the Skypark Marriott. 


This was our room! It was really quite lovely.


The toilet.


Mom and I, obviously she didn't go to the concert with me, but since she is really worried about me travelling by myself overseas (due to the abnormal number of kidnapping cases reported), she kind of came to chaperone me. A "bodyguard" if you will. Haha, I'm thankful for the company though! 


The place I have to say, is very heavily guarded. There were uniformed security every where and roaming around throughout the concert!



View from my side of the stage.


The fanclub came and gave everyone a slogan, which was really nice.


The mondongie, or Monbebe lightstick that everyone was waving. Unfortunately I didn't purchase any merchandise because... Reasons. Well. The lightstick was being sold for SGD51 which I thought was way overpriced.



The thing that surprised me the most was the speed of costume changes. Like are Monsta X wizards or something, they managed to do their costume changes so quickly! And seamlessly too.


This was during the ment after they performed Shine Forever. They were always leaving the stage so not all 6 of them were there at the same time (Hyungwon was injured so he sat this concert out), and it was kind of funny because you almost couldn't tell!


Towards the end of the concert, everyone was standing up and cheering, especially when they performed Trespass. You could really feel the passion coming from the stage!







Lastly, managed to catch this amazing Shanghainese-Cantonese restaurant lunch on the 2nd day before our flight back to Singapore. There was pork jelly, sweet and sour fish, rice cake with eedoxi (that's like a slow boiled pork broth) and XLBs. Really yummy!

~

Overall I would say this was a really really good concert. It passed by in a blur because the songs and segment selection was really well prepared and designed. The songs seem to float into each other. Another thing which was really surprising to be was that I thought they would be lipsyncing most of the time because of the sheer physicality of the dancing, except I realised Jooheon was rapping live the whole time? That is really amazing. I was Cat 2, tickets cost SGD288 and my air tickets and hotel was USD600/SGD900 for 2 people. Kind of sad that I don't have the videos of the concert on my phone anymore because I switched to the S8, but there's always the concert DVD when it comes out!

Kpop was my hobby while I was 15 or 16. Back then I was really into DBSK and Super Junior, and I remember there were still DVDs back then so people would actually sell DVDs of their variety show appearances. (It was those hawkers selling CDs on the sidewalk) Summers were spent in Shanghai where I would watch Xmen (it's like a precursor to Running Man) and the time's hottest Kdramas. Kpop brought be so much entertainment and hours of fun back then, I remember Youtube was still in its infancy and it was then I would lookup interviews and show appearances of my favourite bands. Kind of happy to pick up kpop as a hobby again because I feel like I'm reliving those happy times in my childhood. As I've the freedom and financial power to attend concerts now (and fly overseas hurrhurr), I feel like I'm better able to appreciate bands and be a better fan now as a more mature person? So much feelings! Kind of funny now to think about it because I was such a big SJ and DBSK fan back then but I have never attended their concerts. I've actually only been to a Big Bang and (now) Monsta X concert.

It's kind of embarrassing to be a kpop fangirl because most are sooo much younger, but lots of people have incomprehensible, "childish" hobbies like, grown men into lego sets... (I do know of someone like that! Not judging or anything.)

I do have to say though, time is of the essence and you have to choose your hobbies wisely. I'm not sure how long my newfound interest in kpop would be but I definitely appreciate all the joy and laughter it has brought me in the previous few months.
Beautiful in Hong Kong Monsta X Kpop K-pop Concert Review Monbebe Singapore Berlin Paris Seoul Moscow Thailand Jakarta Afternoon tea brunch shopping hairstyle hair zara

You Might Also Like

0 commentors

Featured post

Adventure to the Balkans Travelogue Pt. 1: Zagreb, Croatia

Hola at you readers! It's me, Sasha Bear here - and today we're FINALLY going to post about my trip to the Balkans circa Octo...

Quote I Love

“To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.”

—Arundhati Roy, The Cost of Living

Current Ear Candy